Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Boys who don't call


I just got off the phone with a good friend of mine who is waiting for a boy to call. Not just any boy, but a boy she likes (yes, I know I'm 27 and I should be saying "man," but with my girlfriends, until you marry the guy, he's still a boy). I don't understand why boys don't call. Let's say he has realized after four or so dates that he's not really interested. Would it kill him to let her know? Could he actually really like her but be afraid to come off as too desperate?

Michael put me through the ringer prior to one of our early dates. He called me sometime during the week, and we made plans to go to out that Saturday evening. He said he would call me on Saturday to firm things up. Three o'clock rolled around, and he still hadn't called. I had no idea if we were going bowling, rock climbing, ballroom dancing . . . if we were eating dinner together, if I was meeting him someplace, if he was picking me up . . . He finally did call that afternoon and picked me up a few hours later, but what a hellish day! Didn't he know I needed to change my outfit eight times and that my eye makeup would change depending on what my outfit was and that I needed to freshen my pedicure if I was wearing sandals? When I later gave him hell about the whole ordeal I discovered that he had been holding back all day from calling me because he didn't want to come across as too desperate. Which of his idiot friends taught him that one?

My friend and I started thinking it would be really great if people could just be really honest with each other:

"I don't think we should go out anymore . . . I saw this girl at the mall today with really big boobs, and I decided that's really what I want in a girlfriend."

"I like you all right, but I'm feeling kind of lazy lately, so I have no energy to put into a relationship right now."

"I really just want to fool around and not actually talk to you."

"I think you are beautiful and intelligent, but I recently realized that I'm gay. Perhaps I can introduce you to my straight brother." (wishful thinking)

"I really like you. In fact, I think I could see myself spending the rest of my life with you, and that freaks me out a little, so I need to take a step back and think. I'll probably call you in a month or two and realize I'm being foolish. Hopefully, you'll still be single and interested in me."

"I really like you, but my best friend who is single and has never had a serious, long-term relationship told me to stay distant . . . So I won't be calling you again until next week."

"I like you, but I'm afraid you won't like me. If you decide you don't like me, can you let me know and not just stop calling alltogether? Do you want to go get a cup of coffee?"

3 comments:

VeryApeAZ said...

I didn't realize that we were still living in the Elizabethan era. I also didn't realize that all women's fingers were broken and couldn't dial the phone. Maybe I'm too much of a feminist. I think women should be able to do all the things listed in this post.

Jen said...

Ahh yes . . . You see my friend was the last one to call and leave a message. So it's his turn now, right?

I'm a modern gal. If it weren't for me, I don't think Michael and I would ever have gone on our first date! Have you heard this story? It involves gas . . . Perhaps a future blog. Hmm...

VeryApeAZ said...

I failed reading comprehension in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade.