Saturday, April 15, 2006

"Thunk!"



"Thunk!"

That's the sound I heard about 2 minutes ago. I wasn't really surprised because Michael and I converted the twins' cribs to toddler beds earlier this evening. Basically, you remove one side of the crib, and they have a mini daybed of sorts. Same crib mattress, it's just now they can get in and out of bed as they wish.

Of course, Dylan has had no trouble getting out of his crib, which is the main reason for today's conversion. Kyle is a little less agile, so we were mostly concerned about Kyle trying to mimic Dylan and then getting hurt.

When we first got the toddler beds arranged, they had a ball. Both climbed into Kyle's bed together and pretended to sleep (complete with Dylan's breathy, "hashu, hashu"--pretending to snore). Then, Kyle ran over to his bed and started jumping on it until he lost his balance and catapulted onto the floor. He didn't cry. He just looked completely shocked and a little embarrassed (Please note: I did tell my child on many occassions to stop jumping, but he did not listen to me. The best thing for him was probably the fall).

We left the excitement of the room and finished watching Toy Story from a couple of nights ago. They were really sleepy when we put them to bed, but I was still expecting to have them jump out of bed and come find us. They didn't. They went right to sleep, and all was quiet for over two hours.

The "thunk!" was the sound of Dylan rolling out of bed. I went up to their room, and he was sound asleep on the floor. I put him back into bed, covered him with his blankie, Kyle popped his head up to see what was going on, put his head back down, and all is quiet.

For now.

2 comments:

VeryApeAZ said...

I still fall out of bed sometimes. Usually it happens if I spend the night at Joe's. He often thinks his queen-sized bed is a king and that he has plenty of room. He finds he has more room if I'm on the floor while he's sprawled out on the bed.

Actions and Consequences said...

I think your biggest problem is that they know how to open doors so they probably are going to start taking baths, watching tv in the loft, playing games all night. You're going to find them sleeping on the couch cluching Nemo.

Ted's kidding himself. If I had a king, I would just spread myself out futher.