Wednesday, August 02, 2006

No like matches

Driving the twins to their sitter today, I had the privilege of eavesdropping on a wonderful conversation. It blows my mind to think that not very long ago they shared the same crib, the same bouncy chair, the same bassinet and even the same womb. When they were little, we worried that they didn't interact with each other as much as we would have liked. Now, they're like little partners in crime. Actually, prior to our car experience, our entire family was in our master bathroom/closet (dog and cat included), and Kyle was upset about something . . . Being scolded for slamming the door, I think. In any event, he was totally what Joe would call "butt hurt," so Dylan went over to him and gave him a kiss. It was so incredibly adorable.

Now back to this morning. The conversation went something like this:

Kyle: Dylan, where's the sun?

Dylan: (looking) There Kai-kai! There!

Kyle: Where?

Dylan: Over there! Oh, flags Kai-Kai! Flags!

Kyle: Flags! Bird, Dylan! See the bird?

Dylan: I see the bird!

Kyle: Go to Val's house? Mommy, Val's house?

Me: Yep, you're going to Val's house.

Dylan: Mommy, I push the button.

Me: OK.

Dylan: Mommy, I push the button. I no like to walk. Mommy hold and I push the button.

I love how they understand me and understand each other. It's such a joy to experience this. We do have hiccups in the learning process, though. A few nights ago I was getting them into their PJs, and Dylan picked a Nemo top and a Nemo bottom, but they were from two separate Nemo sets. I tried to get Dylan to change bottoms:

Me: Dylan, let's wear this one. See, it matches.

Dylan: No. No like matches.

I did get him to switch so he matched.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, while driving with us, the guys were asked "where's the sun?", and "see the flags?" We guess that it "stuck"!!! OKOKOK! But, can't we take at least "partial credit"?! :0)