Saturday, December 31, 2005

Ranting For Love


OK, it's soapbox time.

Right now my mother-in-law is in the emergency room waiting for a bed in ICU because she may have bronchial pneumonia. What started out as a "cold" on Christmas worsened, and she didn't go see a doctor.

About a month ago, Michael and I were in the emergency room because he was having intense headache pain that ended up being caused by a neglected sinus infection.

Noticing a trend? If there is one thing I inherited from my father (because this is definitely a Spinner trait and not a Meronoff trait), it is GO TO THE DOCTOR IF YOU ARE SICK - Especially if you are sick and then it gets WORSE.

I've been trying to understand why people don't go to the doctor when they are sick. Perhaps they are afraid of what they might discover. Perhaps they are lazy or simply won't make the time to take care of themselves because they are too busy "living" (I use quotes because, really, how well can you live when you are ill?). Maybe they think they've been down this road so many times that they think they know what they need to get better (A total disregard of the concept of progress - anitbiotics that worked for you 5 or 10 years ago may now be outdated. You wouldn't still put leeches on your body and bleed the problem out, would you?).

I'm sure it's a combination of many of these issues, and I know I am being completely judgemental right now, but I just hate to see people that I care about going through what could have been prevented.

So please, read my rantings as an act of love.

3 comments:

ch said...

Hans Olsen goes to the Doctor on a daily basis. In fact, he willbring his own doctor on january 7.

~~~Aunt Laurie said...

And we are lucky enough to even have our own in-house Doctor ... Dr. Priscilla! ;o) Love you!! (I hope she will feel better quickly)

Anonymous said...

If there is one thing I inherited from my father (because this is definitely a Spinner trait and not a Meronoff trait), it is GO TO THE DOCTOR IF YOU ARE SICK - Especially if you are sick and then it gets WORSE.

Jen: Next time I see Michael, I'll try the "Vulcan Mind-Meld" on him to GO TO THE DOCTOR WHEN SICK!!! Priscilla and I are praying for Trish's recovery!