Monday, May 15, 2006

Our Sasha


Last week we adopted a puppy. She's a 6-month-old Rottweiler, and we've named her Sasha. Aside from a very brief period of time when my family attempted to have a dog (I was about 7 or 8, I think), I have never "owned" a dog. My family has definitely always been a cat family, and I've admired dogs from afar and then sighed a breath of relief when leaving them behind at a friend or relative's house.

This adoption has definitely been (and continues to be) a journey for me, as I discover something new everyday about the life of a dog. Here's what I've gathered thus far:

  • When dogs get excited, they pee.
  • It is always best to lure a dog outside if you think he/she will be getting "excited."
  • Dogs will eat anything.
  • Dogs will stick their faces in a dirty litter box and pull out "presents" for you.
  • Did I mention dogs will eat anything?
  • A 52 pound puppy can bounce 5 feet in the air.
  • A 13 pound cat can beat the crap out of a 52 pound Rottweiler.
  • Dogs are democrats (seriously--they like listening to NPR!).
  • Dogs are great at corralling young children.
  • Dogs will "kiss" away your tears when you cry. Of course, then you smell like dog.
  • My car smells like dog.

1 comment:

VeryApeAZ said...

They can also make you look like your husband beats you. Great post. Cracked me up!